Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Govt targets youthful 'gangsters'

Govt targets youthful 'gangsters'

Govt targets youthful 'gangsters'

National Police plan to crack down on juvenile delinquents across the country through a targeted campaign against suspected "gangsters", police officials said Wednesday.

Kirt Chatharith, spokesman for the National Police at the Ministry of Interior, said that from August 1 to August 15, police from provincial and municipal departments compiled a list of delinquents almost 7,000 names long. Police plan to target these individuals for both enforcement and instruction.

"We have a list of the gangsters' names, so we will ask them and their parents to talk about their bad activities. We want them to be good people," Kirt Chantharith said.

The crackdown stems from a directive issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen in June 2009 asking relevant authorities nationwide to step up prevention efforts regarding drug use and public disturbances by juvenile groups.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa