Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Grenade attack five years on

Grenade attack five years on

Grenade attack five years on

Sam Rainsy supporters are set to gather March 30 at the site of the 1997 grenade

attack on what was then Rainsy's Khmer Nation Party. Nineteen people died and 141

were injured when four grenades were thrown into a rally being held in the park opposite

the National Assembly. No arrests were ever made.

"We demand that a real investigation by an independent body takes place and

if there's any result it should be made public," Sam Rainsy told the Post March

28.

The US Federal Bureau of Investigation released a report on the attack in November

1998 but skeptics charged that it avoided blaming the CPP, where they suggested the

evidence led.

"We have the feeling that what's been released so far doesn't reflect the whole

evidence," Rainsy said. "Even though five years have passed, the memory

of the grenade attack remains in the minds of survivors and that memory is as vivid

as ever."

Rainsy supporter, 76-year-old Ping Say, was just 10 meters from where the grenades

went off.

"I saw four or five people running to where the CPP soldiers were standing in

front of the pagoda [Wat Botum]," he recalled. "There were around 20 to

30 armed soldiers in uniform. Some people screamed out to the soldiers to arrest

the runners, but they didn't help. It was chaos."

"They went into the pagoda and behind that pagoda the road was blocked because

that is a CPP place," he said.

"We denounce the impunity in Cambodia," Rainsy said of the lack of action

on the case. "It just shows that the judiciary has no credibility whatsoever."

The ceremony, which will include statements made by victims' families and Sam Rainsy,

as well as a blessing by Buddhist monks, begins at 8:30 am.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The