Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Grenade attack kills three

Grenade attack kills three

Grenade attack kills three

110418_2
A mother and son clean blood off the floor of a room where the injured were taken after the attack in Tadol Bei village, in Kandal Stung district, Kandal.

Three people were killed and nine others injured in what police believe was a suicidal grenade attack in the Kandal Stung district of Kandal province on Wednesday.

Sim Buth Bandith, Kandal Stung district police chief, said yesterday that the incident occurred during a family quarrel at an outdoor gathering at about 8pm in the district’s Tadol Bei village. No arrests had been made in connection with the crime, he said

The body of Un Seng, 48, was identified by police as the suspect. He had divorced from his wife several months ago and was allegedly seeking to reunite with her.

His wife reportedly denied his attempt at a reconciliation, which police said caused the suspect to retaliate by using a grenade in a suicide attack.

“There is no investigation about this incident because the criminal was dead at the scene and our conclusion was that there were no other suspects,” Sim Buth Bandith said.

A 38-year-old neighbour, Seang Sreymao, said yesterday that Un Seng had fought with his wife several times during the past two weeks and had also threatened to kill his entire family.

“We didn’t expect that Seng would explode a grenade during the gathering of the neighbourhood. He came and sat while members of his family were visiting his sick [ex] mother-in-law, had an argument for several minutes and then put his hand in his pocket.

“We smelled gunpowder before he exploded,” she said, adding that two people including one child remained in critical condition in hospital.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • VIP prison scrapped amid much criticism

    The Ministry of Interior announced on Thursday that Cambodia’s first privately run prison, which was to allow prisoners with enough money to upgrade to more comfortable cells, has been scrapped. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said studies had found that no other country in the