Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Half tonne of ivory seized after sitting in port for three years

Half tonne of ivory seized after sitting in port for three years

Half tonne of ivory seized after sitting in port for three years

More than half a tonne of ivory was seized at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port on Friday after awaiting collection by a purportedly defunct Takhmao company for nearly three years.

Kim Ly, head of the port customs authority, said he had no information about BTM Trade and Construction, the company listed in shipping documents

District and commune chiefs for the address given on the company’s website said they had never heard of it yesterday, and the phone number listed on the website was answered by a man who said he was a former employee but that BTM went out of business two years ago.

Forestry Administration official Heng Kimchhay said the 613.3-kilogram consignment of ivory arrived at the port on November 1, 2013, buried in a container of corn from Mozambique, adding that customs officials had told him Cambodia was not its intended final destination. “Maybe China,” he said.

Wildlife Conservation Society technical adviser Sarah Brook noted that as neighbouring countries ramp up anti-smuggling efforts, “it encourages traffickers to go through Cambodia and Laos”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police