Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Health officials issue dengue fever warning

Health officials issue dengue fever warning

Health officials issue dengue fever warning

Ministry of Health officials yesterday urged parents to take responsibility for protecting their children from dengue fever after the deaths of two children from the disease so far this year.

Cheamon Thavy, director of dengue fever health education at the National Centre for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control at the Ministry of Health, said that some people do not follow health officials’ advice.

“[It is] hard to find a strategy to make them cooperate with us and due to this, a 5-year-old boy named Roeurn from Kandal province and 10-year-old Huon Sreyleak from Takeo province died from dengue fever this year,” said Cheamon Thavy.

Ngan Chantha, director of the National Anti-Dengue programme at the Ministry of Health, said that parents must protect their children from the disease.

“[Parents] must … monitor the environment around their home like rubbish, old tyres, coconut shells, cans or larvae and if there are those things around their home, they should spend time to clean it,” said Ngan Chantha.

According to the National Anti-Dengue programme, Phnom Penh, Kandal, Siem Reap, Kampot, Kampong Cham and Banteay Meanchey provinces are the most heavily affected by dengue fever.

Ou Sopha, program director for combating dengue fever at the Kandal provincial health department, said that the national authority would distribute the insecticide Abate within the six most infectious provinces.

According to the National Center for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control there have been 231 cases of dengue fever in the first three months of this year resulting in two deaths, compared with 193 cases resulting in one death over the same period last year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • Bun Heang mocks US, threatens its citizens in scathing open letter

    After being hit with sanctions from the US Department of Treasury, Cambodian General Hing Bun Heang said he would retaliate against any US national who does not respect his country’s sovereignty, has ambitions to invade Cambodia or incites “traitors” in the Kingdom to do

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,