Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Heavy rains prompt flood warnings



Heavy rains prompt flood warnings

Officials help dismantle homes ahead of anticipated floods along the Mekong River in Kampong Cham’s Prey Chor district.
Officials help dismantle homes ahead of anticipated floods along the Mekong River in Kampong Cham’s Prey Chor district. Photo supplied

Heavy rains prompt flood warnings

National Committee for Disaster Management spokesman Keo Vy yesterday appealed to citizens and authorities in low-lying areas to beware of floods as water levels continue to rise following heavy rains.

The downpours, which began last week, have caused flooding in six provinces. At the moment, floodwaters in the upper Mekong region have begun to recede, but strong currents flowing into the Tonle Sap and Tonle Bassac rivers and the Tonle Sap Basin could lead to the flooding of nearby homes and farmland.

“In such a situation, authorities and all people living in lowland areas along the Tonle Bassac and surrounding the Tonle Sap must pay attention as nine people died because of flooding in the last few weeks,” Vy said.

Floods caused by heavy rains over the Mekong River killed seven across Kratie, Kampong Cham, Prey Veng, Tbong Khmum, and Phnom Penh, while flooding in Preah Vihear province killed two.

The Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology warned that water levels in the Mekong, Tonle Sap, Tonle Bassac rivers and the Tonle Sap Basin will continue to climb over the next two or three days due to large quantities of water flowing south from the upper Mekong.

Kandal Provincial Police Chief Eav Chamroeun said that authorities were prepared to intervene and help local people evacuate to safe zones in the highlands.

“Floodwaters have reached the deep-water rice plantations, but not people’s houses yet,” he said.

Floods in Kampong Cham province yesterday submerged Kampong Samnanh village, displacing 46 families to safer highland areas, said Prey Chhor district Police Chief Keo Senghorn.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese