Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Heng Pov asks for fast appeal



Heng Pov asks for fast appeal

Former Phnom Penh Municipal Police Chief Heng Pov taken yesterday to Supreme Court in a police vehicle (black).
Former Phnom Penh Municipal Police Chief Heng Pov taken yesterday to Supreme Court in a police vehicle (black). Hong Menea

Heng Pov asks for fast appeal

Disgraced former Phnom Penh Municipal Police Chief Heng Pov yesterday called for a speedy appeal trial before the Supreme Court in two of his cases – which relate to the possession of fake currency and to the illegal detention of a suspect – despite lamenting that he wasn’t able to hire his own lawyer as his assets had been frozen.

Pov, 60, had previously asked the court to delay the trial, claiming he could not trust the assigned lawyer and saying he should instead be allowed to pay a lawyer with his frozen assets.

“But the court keeps rejecting the request . . . If I had the money to hire a lawyer, the lawyer would put all efforts to work for me,” he said.

Among a handful of convictions handed to the former police chief, the charges resulted in a 14-year sentence for the possession of fake US currency and five years for illegal detention, after he locked up an alleged thief even after a court had dismissed his case. In total, Pov has been sentenced to 103 years.

He repeated his earlier claims yesterday that Lieutenant General Mok Chito, the deputy National Police chief, had framed him by planting counterfeit money during a 2006 raid of his house, and that Chito had been responsible for kidnapping.

“No one would leave money outside the house even though the money is fake – they would keep it inside the house,” he said, referring to where the counterfeit bills had been discovered.

Chito yesterday denied Pov’s accusations.

Nou Chantha, Pov’s defence lawyer, argued that his client had not possessed fake money as charged, and that it should have been examined by a bank, not by the Interior Ministry. He added that the second raid on the house following his arrest had been illegal as the police didn’t have a search warrant.

“I would like to ask the court to free my client,” he said. A verdict is due September 27.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Hun Sen: Lakes filled in for national developments

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced continued operations to fill some lakes in Phnom Penh to create land for developments, though he is against the unrelated practice of damming rivers or blocking waterways. Speaking at the inauguration of the Ministry of Public Works and Transport

  • Koh Preus upgrades 70% complete

    Initial construction of a nearly $30 million tourism infrastructure project on Preah Sihanouk province’s Koh Preus Island is “about 70 per cent complete”, according to an official with the developer. Heng Thou, construction site manager of Angela Real Estate Co Ltd (ARE), told The Post that

  • Local media loses a giant, and The Post a great friend

    Cheang Sokha, a gifted and streetwise reporter who rose to the highest ranks of Cambodian media and was beloved for his sharp intelligence, world-class humour and endless generosity, died on Friday in his hometown of Phnom Penh. He was 42. His wife, Sok Sophorn, said he

  • Cambodia, India agree to start direct flights, tourism exchanges

    Cambodia and India have agreed to start direct flight connections and promote closer tourism exchanges and cooperation in all areas after the Covid-19 saga comes to a close. The agreement was reached during a meeting between Cambodian Minister of Tourism Thong Khon and newly-minted Indian