Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Household dangers: Boy injured in gas lamp accident

Household dangers: Boy injured in gas lamp accident

Household dangers: Boy injured in gas lamp accident

Household dangers
A seven-year-old boy was severely burned on Friday in Kampong Chhnang province’s Teuk Phos district, when his mother accidentally threw a bottle of gasoline at him while lighting a lamp, officials said yesterday.

Kbal Teuk commune police chief Chin Sim said that the boy’s mother Num En, 49, had tried to top up a lamp without first extinguishing the flame. He added that the mother became nervous and threw the bottle away and in the direction of her nearby son, who was sent to the provincial hospital with burns to his left hand, face and body.

Gasoline lamps are commonly used in villages that lack proper electricity and have previously lead to fatal accidents.

The Post reported last December that three teenage sisters in Prey Veng province’s Ba Phnom district were critically injured when a lit lamp they tried to pour gasoline into exploded.

Ken Ratha, program manager of EveryChild Cambodia, said this most recent case had likely resulted from negligence.

“In general, the community has not done well enough to raise awareness of the safety issues of gasoline lamps,” he said.

Chin Sim said that such incidents were rare in the commune and that villagers were generally alert, with commune and district authorities educating them on lamp and stove safety.

Soem Bunna, a doctor at Kampong Chhnang provincial hospital, said that the boy was out of danger, but that the burns would leave scarring on his face and stomach.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Chinese-owned shops are on the rise in central Phnom Penh

    Informal businesses owned by Chinese nationals are on the rise in central Phnom Penh, especially in Tonle Bassac commune, surrounding Koh Pich. Such businesses have sprung up notably in Central Market, Orussey Market, Sovanna Shopping Mall, Rattana Plaza, as well as Kakab commune across from