Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Huge fire kills adult and child in Mondulkiri



Huge fire kills adult and child in Mondulkiri

Locals in Sen Monorom town struggle to put out a fire that tore through the provincial capital early on Saturday morning. Francesco Brembati
Locals in Sen Monorom town struggle to put out a fire that tore through the provincial capital early on Saturday morning. Francesco Brembati

Huge fire kills adult and child in Mondulkiri

A massive fire killed two people, one of them a child, and destroyed at least 220 market stalls in Mondulkiri’s provincial capital of Sen Monorom town early on Saturday.

Ouk Samnang, provincial police chief in Mondulkiri, said that the two victims had been trapped inside the market. “The roof broke down and that’s why they couldn’t escape from their home,” he said. “We are searching for the cause of the fire.”

He said some had claimed that there was an electric malfunction that caused the fire, but police “are working on it and will report later”.

According to the official Facebook page of the Mondulkiri provincial administration, the two victims who died were 24-year-old Seng Pou and 13-year-old Touch Navith.

Richard Mastrandrea, an American who lives in Sen Monorom and witnessed the fire, said it started early in the morning.

“We woke up and somebody was yelling outside on the street at about 2:30, so we went to have a look at what was happening,” he said. “Then we could see the whole sky was orange with the fire.”

He said the fire spread quickly because many buildings were wooden and there was no road inside the market for trucks to carry in water. “So it quickly spread, shop after shop, house after house,” he said, estimating that about 60 to 80 percent of the market was burned to the ground, and adding that many families who lived in their stalls were now homeless.

“Many people were going through what was left of their houses, trying to find anything that they could salvage,” he said. “Everything was burned up in the fire.”

In a separate incident, 42-year old Hang Hov and her two children – Chan Sreynut, 13, ad Chan Lita, 7 – died in a fire on Friday in Oddar Meanchey province’s Trapaing Prasat district when their house caught on fire.

Un Rim, O’Svay commune police chief, said experts concluded the blaze was caused by an “electric malfunction”.

However, husband Chan Sarum, a 48-year-old military official, said he suspected foul play and demanded authorities to investigate.

“I think that this was murder, that someone robbed and killed my wife and children and burnt my house down in order to mislead the authorities,” he said, “because normally, if a fire happens, people will run out of the room in order to find the way out . . . but the bodies of my wife and children were found lying dead next to and on each other in one room.”

Sarum added that he wasn’t home that night because he was stationed in Phnom Tathav in Preah Vihear province.

Buth Savuth, Trapaing Prasat district Military Police commander, said authorities did not see any signs of crime at first. “But following the husband’s request, we will investigate this case,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration