Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hun Manet gets promotion



Hun Manet gets promotion

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Hun Manet salutes the Cambodian flag in Phnom Penh last year. Photo supplied

Hun Manet gets promotion

The deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF), Lieutenant General Hun Manet, will be promoted to acting chief of the joint staffs and chief of the armed forces. However, he retains his current responsibilities as well.

Manet who is the son of Prime Minister Hun Sen, replaces General Kun Kim and General Meas Sophea, who are both stepping down to stand as candidates in the July 29 elections, according to an announcement.

General Sao Sokha, another RCAF deputy commander, will assume the role of acting commander of the armed forces. He replaces General Pol Saroeun, who is also looking to win a National Assembly seat in the coming elections.

The announcement, signed by Banh and obtained by The Post on Wednesday, read: “Tea Banh, deputy prime minister and minister of defence, has issued new roles in the Royal Cambodia Armed Forces.

“They are as follows: His Excellency General Sao Sokha will become acting commander of the RCAF, together with his existing responsibilities; His Excellency Lieutenant General Hun Manet, deputy commander of RCAF, will become acting chief of joint staff and chief of the RCAF together with his existing responsibilities,”

“The changes were made following requests for special leave for participation in the upcoming elections and are effective from June 30.”

Political analyst Hang Vitou claimed the promotion of Manet was a planned move to maintain power by the ruling Cambodian People’s Party.

“This is because Hun Sen does not trust anyone as much as his children,” he said.

Sokha has long been the commander of the National Military Police and a deputy RCAF commander-in-chief. He is said to have forged close ties to the prime minister since he was an aide to Hun Sen in the 1970s.

Manet is also the current head of the joint-ministry counterterrorism taskforce and deputy commander of Hun Sen’s Bodyguard Unit.

He had previously participated in negotiations during the 2008 dispute between Cambodia and Thailand involving the area surrounding the 11th-century Preah Vihear temple.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting