Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hun Sen aide charged

Hun Sen aide charged

Hun Sen aide charged

Four men, one an assistant to the prime minister, are facing jail terms of three to five years after being charged with “intentional violence” yesterday in the wake of an alleged violent beating in Koh Kong over the weekend.

Lay Menglaing, chief of the province’s minor crimes police office, told the Post that Bun Sokha, deputy chief of staff of Hun Sen’s bodyguard unit and a personal assistant to the premier, along with his bodyguards Sum Veasna and Meang Chheangly and driver Sum Chhaiya, were sent to Koh Kong provincial prison at about 4pm yesterday following two days of questioning.

“The court charged them with intentional violence like what I accused them of. We are sending them to prison,” he said.

Rights groups said that the charge came despite an offer of US$15,000 in compensation, which they claim was rejected by two of the victims yesterday.

Investigating judge Kham Sophary, the man who issued the warrant for the quartet’s detention, declined to comment yesterday, saying his deliberations were “secret”.

The four suspects were arrested on Monday after allegedly beating four people at the Koh Kong City hotel in a dispute that originated over a missing necklace.

The victims accused them of beating, kicking and handcuffing them as well as using an electric baton and threatening them with a gun, actions police previously told the Post had been captured by hotel security cameras.

Human rights groups monitoring the case welcomed the court’s actions in dealing with a senior official, comparing it favourably to the case of former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith, who remains free more than two months after allegedly shooting into a crowd of strikers outside a factory in Svay Rieng province, hitting three young women.

Chhouk Bandith has been charged with causing “unintentional injury”, a decision that has been pilloried by rights groups and victims alike.

“The Koh Kong court’s work is based on the law and can avoid impunity. The court in Svay Rieng province should follow [their example],” said In Kong Chet, provincial coordinator for human rights group Licadho.

He added that he had been worried the men would be freed on bail and might threaten the victims.

Neang Boratino, provincial coordinator for human rights group Adhoc, praised the court’s decision as “a model for other courts”, adding that his organisation had also received complaints from victims Sang Thairath and Norng Suden.

“We provided a lawyer for them. Before [the court’s decision], the suspects offered them $15,000 each to settle the case out of court, but they disagreed and let it go through the court system,” he said.

None of the four victims could be reached for comment yesterday.

To contact the reporter on this story: Chhay Channyda at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman