Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hun Sen amps up attacks on US

Hun Sen amps up attacks on US

Prime Minister Hun Sen greets representatives of the garment industry after his speech on Friday in Phnom Penh
Prime Minister Hun Sen greets representatives of the garment industry after his speech on Friday in Phnom Penh. Facebook

Hun Sen amps up attacks on US

Prime Minister Hun Sen on Friday ratcheted up his attacks on the United States, announcing that he had instructed the Immigration Department to check for American “spies” and suggesting the US Embassy pull out its Peace Corps volunteers.

The premier’s anti-US rhetoric has intensified in the past few weeks following the arrest of opposition leader Kem Sokha, a move widely condemned by civil society and foreign governments. Senior government officials have claimed Sokha was receiving US assistance to foment a “colour revolution” in the country.

In response, the US Embassy questioned Cambodia’s commitment to democracy and has denied the claims – based on a 2013 speech given by Sokha – as a “red herring”. This week it also issued a notice to its citizens warning of anti-American rhetoric in Cambodia.

In an unrelated move, the US also imposed visas sanctions on senior Foreign Ministry officials for the Kingdom’s refusal to accept Cambodians living in the US who are slated for deportation due to felony convictions.

Hitting back, the premier last week suspended a programme that assisted the US in finding and repatriating the remains of American soldiers killed during the Vietnam War.

Speaking to workers at Vattanac Industrial Park, Hun Sen said he asked US Ambassador William Heidt to clarify whether the country had assisted Kem Sokha in planning an overthrow of his government, attributing the accusation to Sokha himself.

“I want to ask His Excellency to clarify whether Kem Sokha’s remark was right or wrong, because we have not accused the US, but Kem Sokha was the one who made accusations that US had instructed [him] on the way to topple and to change the [government] like in Yugoslavia and Serbia,” said the premier.

He added that if the accusations were true then it was up to US President Donald Trump and four former presidents to clarify their actions as well.

“[If] Kem Sokha’s remarks are real, then the US government since [George] Bush, [Bill] Clinton, [George] W Bush, [Barack] Obama and Donald Trump have to come to clarify whether they had instructed Kem Sokha like this or not, if the ambassador has no capability to clarify,” he said.

He again resurrected long-held grouses about US support to the Lon Nol regime and its bombing campaign in the early 1970s, and said that the Immigration Department will now investigate US “spies” whom he suspected of being behind the 2013 labour strikes on Veng Sreng Boulevard.

“In the past, we have known about it, and there were two spies who had provided instruction for the Veng Sreng [strikes],” he said.

Hun Sen also characterised the embassy’s travel warning as a terror threat alert, asking the US to share any intelligence on the purported threat, while seemingly ignoring the fact that the statement explicitly referenced “anti-American rhetoric by officials” in the Cambodian government.

If the situation was so dire, Hun Sen said, then the US should pull out its Peace Corp volunteers. “If Your Excellency’s country is suffering the threat of a terrorist attack, this is Your Excellency’s issue and should not scare Cambodians. And it is good if your Excellency then takes your Peace Corps back,” he said.

The suggestion to pull out Peace Corp volunteers came as the embassy was swearing in 71 new recruits.

The US Embassy on Friday declined to comment on the premier’s comments, but Ambassador Heidt, speaking to journalists after the swearing in for new Peace Corp volunteers, said he was unclear of the connection between the embassy’s travel warning and the suggestion for removing the volunteers.

“We do that [security warnings] in every country. Whenever Americans travel overseas they should be careful. We give security training to our volunteers as well and that’s something we take very seriously always as the US government,” he said.

Immigration Department head Sok Phal declined to comment and National Police spokesman Kirth Chantharith could not be reached.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a