PRIME Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday defended the government's decision to file an incitement and disinformation lawsuit against the president of the Khmer Civilisation Foundation for claiming that a light installation project at Angkor Wat had damaged the temple.
Speaking at a graduation ceremony at the Royal University of Administration, Hun Sen said the decision to file the June 2 Municipal Court lawsuit against Moeung Sonn was necessary to "curb the situation".
"If we did not curb the situation on time, what would have happened? They have spread the disinformation via mobile phones, and it could have created a huge turmoil," he said.
Moeung Sonn told the Post late last month that workers installing new lights at the 12th-century temple had drilled holes deep into the structure's walls, a charge the Apsara Authority, the body in charge of managing the temple complex, flatly denied.
Moeung Sonn fled to France the same week the lawsuit against him was filed.
Government lawyer Pal Chan Dara said Wednesday that he did not know of any upcoming appearances or hearings related to the case.
Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan said Wednesday that Deputy Prime Minister Sok An would appear at the National Assembly on Friday to give a presentation on the light installation project.
He said that the appearance was prompted by a request from Sam Rainsy Party lawmaker Son Chhay.