Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hun Sen welcomes investigation



Hun Sen welcomes investigation

Hun Sen greets workers at the Stung Meanchey flyover construction site today in his first public appearance since the election.
Hun Sen greets workers at the Stung Meanchey flyover today in his first public appearance since the election. MAY TITTHARA

Hun Sen welcomes investigation

Prime Minister Hun Sen said this afternoon he would “welcome” an investigation into the contested results of Sunday’s election.

The remarks, his first public comments since the election, came after opposition leader Sam Rainsy announced the party had done far better than the preliminary government results had suggested and called for the premier to step down.

“For the sake of free and fair elections, I welcome NGOs, all political parties and the NEC to investigate this,” he told reporters, while speaking to workers at the construction site of a flyover in Stung Meanchey.

The opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party has called for a joint committee made up of representatives of all parties and international monitors to review the results of Sunday’s election, which gave the ruling Cambodian People’s Party 68 seats to the CNRP’s 55.

The government had previously shot down such a proposal.

Hun Sen also said he would be happy to speak with Rainsy, saying “the CPP had an open heart to talk to the CNRP.”

Opposition lawmaker Son Chhay said yesterday the premier's endorsement of such an investigation was a good step but that the CNRP were not interested in negotiating with the CPP until the probe had been completed.

"I think this is what we want, we need to have a proper investigation on this election to find justice for the people before any political deal can be made so I think if he agreed that is a good sign," he said.

Son Chhay stressed that Hun Sen could not ignore the findings of such an investigation if they did not suit him, as he had done in other cases such as the findings of United Nations special rapporteur on human rights in Cambodia, Surya Subedi.

"If they find that he lost the election because of all the fraud he made, he must respect the finding," he said.

Shooting down rumours that he had fled, Hun Sen also stressed this afternoon that he would not “leave the country when my people are suffering” and said that no one from the party had fired him from the position of premier.

This article has been corrected. Originally it said that Prime Minister Hun Sen had welcomed an international investigation. He never said the word international. We apologise for any confusion caused.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year