Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ieng Sary hearing postponed

Ieng Sary hearing postponed

Ieng Sary hearing postponed

Heng Chivoan

Ieng Sary, 82, is appealing his pretrial detention.

Former Khmer Rouge leader Ieng Sary’s appeal against pretrial detention was cut short June 30 when the UN-backed court set to try him for crimes against humanity and war crimes postponed the hearing by one day due to health concerns for the former KR foreign minister.

Sary’s lawyers had started to argue that their client should be remanded to house arrest or protected hospitalization when a court official announced a daylong postponement in order for Sary to recover from exhaustion.

The 82-year-old is the last of five accused – all former members of Pol Pot’s inner circle – to appeal his pre-trial detention at the Extraordinary Chambers of the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC).

American lawyer Michael Karnavas told the court on June 30 that Sary’s precarious health had not been adequately examined and that the unknowns of the court, which has been plagued by long delays and periods of glacial progress, could inflict undue suffering on his client.

“The court’s funding has not been resolved, and the trial could take another year or so. This is a violation of the rights of Ieng Sary,” he argued.

Karnavas also countered criticism of his plea.

“It is an insult to suggest this is a pretext, because this matter has been brought up month after month after month,” he added.

Observers are anticipating a second argument on Sary’s behalf July 1 – that he had clemency granted to him in 1996 by retired King Norodom Sihanouk at the behest of then co-Prime Ministers Norodom Ranariddh and Hun Sen, in their efforts to broker Khmer Rouge defections.

The mixed bench of foreign and Cambodian judges has yet to decide whether to honor the royal pardon.

The first trial, that of former Khmer Rouge prison director Duch, is scheduled to start in September this year.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on