Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ieng Thirith charged with genocide at KRT

Ieng Thirith charged with genocide at KRT

Ieng Thirith charged with genocide at KRT

THE Khmer Rouge tribunal on Monday charged former social action minister Ieng Thirith with genocide, a court spokeswoman said, making her the fourth suspect to face the charge.

Yuko Maeda said the case against Ieng Thirith had been expanded to include genocide and war crimes, as well as homicide, torture and persecution under the 1956 Cambodian penal code, which was in effect during the regime. Ieng Thirith had previously been charged with crimes against humanity.

The genocide charge stems from the regime’s treatment of Vietnamese and the Cham Muslim minority group, Maeda said.

The tribunal said last week that Khmer Rouge Brother No 2 Nuon Chea, foreign minister Ieng Sary and head of state Khieu Samphan had all also been charged with genocide, marking the first time the charge had been brought against regime leaders by an internationally sanctioned court.

Several scholars have questioned the soundness of applying genocide with respect to Khmer Rouge-era crimes, and others have challenged the case against Ieng Thirith herself.

Laura Summers, a Cambodia expert at the University of Hull in the UK, said in a recent interview that she was “doubtful to this day that there is sufficient evidence for a ‘safe’ prosecution of at least some of the four defendants for the crimes for which they were charged at the time of their detention”.

She added: “It seems to me that evidence of serious criminal action or intent on the part of Mrs Ieng Thirith, who was not a senior party official, might be especially weak.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges