Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Illegal’ Angkor homes dismantled in Siem Reap

‘Illegal’ Angkor homes dismantled in Siem Reap

Apsara Authority officials dismantle an allegedly illegally constructed house within the protected area of Siem Reap’s Angkor Archaeological Park. Photo supplied
Apsara Authority officials dismantle an allegedly illegally constructed house within the protected area of Siem Reap’s Angkor Archaeological Park. Photo supplied

‘Illegal’ Angkor homes dismantled in Siem Reap

Authorities in Siem Reap province yesterday began tearing down villagers’ homes they say are illegally constructed inside the Angkor Archaeological Park’s protected zones.

Eight families from several districts watched as teams from the Apsara Authority, which manages the historical site, and provincial forces dismantled their homes, with hundreds more demolitions expected to follow in the coming weeks.

One resident, Sor Saron, whose home in Nokor Thom commune’s Rohal village was among those torn down, said he was heartbroken.

“The state offered us this plot of land, about 1 kilometre from the Angkor area in 1989, but now they say it is in the Angkor area and construction is prohibited,” he said, noting nearby hotels remained untouched.

“I just built my house to live, and it’s not illegal. If you pull down my house, then please kill me as well since there is nothing for me to continue living for.”

Long Kosal, director of the Authority’s Information Department, said residents were warned on August 1 that the 520 homes constructed within the two protection zones – which were established to prevent construction damaging Angkorian temples in the area – would be dismantled.

“Some building owners received the information and agreed to pull down their house voluntarily,” he said, adding the main areas of “illegal construction” were in Prasat Bakong district, Angkor Thom district and Siem Reap town.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio