Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Illegal factory floor removed

Illegal factory floor removed

Illegal factory floor removed

The illegally built second storey of the Siu Quinh garment factory in Phnom Penh has been destroyed, factory officials and workers said yesterday.

Bun Leng, administrative manager at the factory in Dangkor district, said his company had demolished the floor after inspection from a private company – whose name he did not reveal – and discussions with officials from the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction.

“The private company released the results of their investigation, saying the second floor had to be demolished,” he said, adding this had happened in December.

The ministry, he said, had approved the rebuilding of the floor, which would be completed in March.

Workers fled from the factory in late November claiming the walls were shaking. An inspection by ministry officials in the days that followed discovered the unauthorised floor.

Officials from the ministry could not be reached yesterday, but Bouy Srey Mom, 26, said she had seen the floor demolished.

Employees are still producing garments in a makeshift workspace, she added, but are happy the second storey has been knocked down.

“The place is a bit narrow and hot, but it is safer for us than in the shaky building,” she said.

“We will eventually return to work in the main building. I hope the shaking will stop now,” she said.

In May last year, two workers, one of them a teenage girl, were killed when an illegally built storage level collapsed at the Wing Star Shoes factory in Kampong Speu province.

The deaths prompted Minister of Labour Ith Sam Heng, then minister of social affairs, to promise increased construction safety inspections.

Such inspections, however, are yet to be introduced.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Delta spreading in Kingdom

    Cambodia has so far detected more than 200 cases of the highly contagious coronavirus Delta variant, with 109 found on July 31 and August 1. The Ministry of Health has expressed deep concerns that the variant may have already reached communities and be spreading as some of the cases

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four