Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Illegal fishing arrests down from last year



Illegal fishing arrests down from last year

Authorities burn a pile of fishing nets in Kandal province earlier this week after they were seized for illegal use. Photo supplied
Authorities burn a pile of fishing nets in Kandal province earlier this week after they were seized for illegal use. Photo supplied

Illegal fishing arrests down from last year

Cambodian authorities have caught fewer illegal fishermen so far this year compared to 2015, which fishery officials ascribed to a combination of delayed rains and heightened law-abiding.

Hong Hy, director of the administration and legislation department of the Fisheries Administration, said the authorities recorded 2,541 cases of illegal fishing across the Kingdom between January and September this year, yet made only 118 arrests.

“From the 118 suspects, 56 people were sentenced to between one month and three years in prison,” he said, adding that the courts had released the rest on bail. “The Fisheries Administration released 71.42 tonnes of small fish, seized in the crime crackdown, back to the river,” he said. “And we sent 166.6 million riel [$40,663] obtained from fines into the state’s budget.”

More than 270 electro-fishing devices were confiscated, while more than 800,000 metres of illegal fishing nets were burned.

The figures show there were 203 fewer cases and six fewer arrests compared to the same period last year. They also reveal the vast majority of perpetrators managed to evade police.

“The decline was caused by regular crackdowns, the slower process of the level of water rising . . . compared to last year and the fishermen understanding more about law, especially because the fines frighten them into not committing the crime again,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants