Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Illegal mining op halted in preserve




Illegal mining op halted in preserve

Illegal mining op halted in preserve

Pailin provincial authorities are searching for a suspect who allegedly commissioned the excavation of a gold mine on land the protection of which is funded by the foundation of American actress Angelina Jolie.

Provincial environmental police are holding three men at a spot where they were found guarding an excavator and 10,000 square metres of land in Boyakha commune on Sunday, said Kim Sokha, director of Pailin’s environment office.

All three said they were hired to guard the machine and area, but insisted they did not know the identity of their employer.

“Workers were illegally surrounding land near a gold mine to dig with the excavator [on protected land] near the Cambodian-Thai border,” Sokha said.

“We are searching for the person behind this illegal activity, and if we cannot find whoever is responsible for it, the excavator will be impounded at a border military police station.”

Since the questioning on Sunday, environmental police have detained the three guards at the site, Sokha said, though they have not been charged.

This is the second time Sokha’s department has cracked down on people digging or attempting to dig on the land owned by the Maddox Jolie-Pitt Foundation, run by Jolie and her husband, Brad Pitt. They started the organisation in 2003 after adopting a child from Cambodia.

At the foundation’s creation, the actress pledged an initial $1.3 million to fund protection efforts in Pailin and Battambang provinces, said Chan Socheat, its operational officer. Only two companies have been granted licences to explore the area, one of which is Vietnamese, he said.

A 1993 royal decree designated 60,000 hectares of forest land in Battambang and Pailin as a protected area, Socheat said. Since then, 20,000 hectares has been used by people who farm and live on it.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as