Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Illegally imported plastic waste returned back to US, Canada



Illegally imported plastic waste returned back to US, Canada

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities returned 83 shipping containers carrying 1,562 tonnes of hazardous plastic waste to their point of origin on Sunday. Photo supplied

Illegally imported plastic waste returned back to US, Canada

All the 83 containers of plastic waste illegally imported into Cambodia by Chungyuen Plastic Manufacture Co Ltd have been returned to their originating countries following a crackdown at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port in July, according to a General Department of Customs and Excise press release.

Monday’s press release said that after the imported waste was found on July 16, the authorities fined Chungyuen Plastic Manufacture and ordered it to return all 83 containers to their countries of origin, which has now been done.

“The company has paid the fine into the national budget and shipped back 14 containers of plastic waste on August 20. On September 15, the company returned the remaining 69 containers.

“Thus, the company has fulfilled all the conditions placed on it by the authorities,” the press release said.

Ministry of Environment secretary of state and spokesman Neth Pheaktra told The Post that the ministry welcomed the departure of the containers and was pleased the company had paid its fine promptly as required.

He said that the timely crackdown reflected the strong collaboration between the Ministry of Environment and relevant institutions, including the General Department of Customs and Excise and Sihanoukville Autonomous Port, in preventing prohibited goods from being imported into the country.

“I would like to reiterate that the Royal Government of Cambodia will continue to take strict legal measures against the importing of all prohibited items.

“Cambodia is not a dustbin for the disposal of outdated technology, and it has always opposed the import of plastic and oil waste to the Kingdom.

“The Royal Government of Cambodia encourages the recycling of plastic waste from domestic raw materials but does not allow waste to be imported into the country,” Pheaktra said.

Kun Nhem, the director-general of the General Department of Customs and Excise, could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

But at a press conference at the department on July 30, he said the 83 containers, weighing a total of 1,562 tonnes, were imported over 17 separate occasions between last September and January.

Seventy containers, weighing 1,322 tonnes, were imported from the US and 13, weighing 270 tonnes, from Canada.

They had passed through ports in Singapore, Malaysia and Vietnam before reaching Cambodia, he said.

“After checks by the General Department of Customs and Excise and a Ministry of Environment laboratory, the plastic waste did not contain dangerous chemical substances

“Chungyuen Plastic Manufacture is not Chinese-owned and did not employ Chinese nationals.

“The company had rented a building in the Sihanoukville Special Economic Zone as its office. It had been recognised as a legal entity by the Council for the Development of Cambodia,” Nhem said.

He added at the time that the company had been ordered to pay a fine of 1,037,500,000 riel ($250,000).

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting