Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Indecent image leads to charge

Indecent image leads to charge

Former English teacher Frederic Gonzales leaves Phnom Penh’s municipal court
Former English teacher Frederic Gonzales leaves Phnom Penh’s municipal court. PHA LINA

Indecent image leads to charge

The trial of a 34-year-old French national accused of distributing pornographic images of a bar girl and threatening to post them online last year began yesterday at Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

Frederic Gonzales was employed as a private English teacher in the capital when he was arrested by officers from the Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Unit on October 23 for allegedly distributing images of a 20-year-old Vietnamese national working at the Martini Pub in Chamkarmon district’s Boeung Keng Kang II commune.

Suos Sam Ath, a judge at the court, said Gonzales was facing two charges: threatening the girl and distributing pornographic images.

“He had sex with the victim many times and threatened to post the pictures online if she didn’t continue to have sex with him as he wanted,” Suos said.

The woman told the court yesterday that Gonzales photographed her in her rental house in Meanchey district’s Chbar Ampov II commune and distributed the images in front of her home. Along with threats to post the images online, “he also forced me to smoke drugs with him”, she told the court, requesting the accused be fined $2,000. Frederic denied all accusations leveled against him but did confess to taking the pornographic images, claiming they were for himself rather than public distribution.

“She was my girlfriend, and we both had been in love with each other many months ago. I did not force her to have sex with me,” he said, adding he wanted the images for himself when he was older, and asking that the court drop all charges.

A verdict is expected on September 12.

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a