Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Iranian refugees resettled under Australia deal choose to go home

Iranian refugees resettled under Australia deal choose to go home

Refugees arrive at Phnom Penh International Airport in June last year as part of the Australia-Cambodia refugee resettlement deal.
Refugees arrive at Phnom Penh International Airport in June last year as part of the Australia-Cambodia refugee resettlement deal. Pha Lina

Iranian refugees resettled under Australia deal choose to go home

Two Iranian refugees, brought to Cambodia under a resettlement deal with Australia, have gone back to Iran, meaning just two of five people who have moved to the Kingdom under the controversial A$55 million (US$41 million) scheme remain in the country.

Director of the Interior Ministry’s Refugee Department Kerm Sarin said the pair, an Iranian couple in their 40s who were among the first four arrivals who touched down in June 2015, had returned home on February 12.

“They volunteered to go back. They didn’t [give] any reason. They went back to their hometown. It was a man and a woman; they didn’t say they were unhappy. They have a right to stay or to leave, so if they enjoy staying in Cambodia, they stay; if they don’t want to, if they want to go back home, it’s up to them.”

The pair’s departure comes after another of the June arrivals, reportedly a Rohingya man from Myanmar, also chose to return home in October because he was “homesick”, according to a government official at the time.

Now only two refugees from Nauru remain in Cambodia – a young Iranian man who was among the first four, and another ethnic Rohingya man from Myanmar, secretly transferred from Nauru to Phnom Penh in November.

The Australian Embassy in Cambodia did not respond to requests for comment.

Joe Lowry, spokesman for the International Organization for Migration, contracted to help integrate and provide for the refugees in Cambodia, yesterday declined to comment, citing confidentiality clauses.

Ian Rintoul of the Australia-based Refugee Action Coalition, called the deal a “farce” and said he expected the remaining Iranian, who is in his 20s, would follow.

“Cambodia was only ever a stopping off point, none intended to stay in Cambodia, it was a way of getting to somewhere else,” Rintoul said.

“The Australian government is willing to spend tens of million of dollars to try and prop up off-shore processing, but this shows conclusively that there is no resettlement program from Nauru.”

Denise Coghlan, director of the Jesuit Refugee Service in Cambodia, said the improved political situation in Iran, following the lifting of sanctions on the country in January, could have influenced the pair’s decision.

Under the resettlement deal, inked in 2014 and heavily criticised by refugee advocates, Cambodia agreed to take refugees held by Australia on the Pacific Island of Nauru in exchange for A$40 million in aid and another A$15 million to cover resettlement.

But, despite being offered cash incentives, all but five have refused to leave the island, where 484 refugees and asylum seekers currently reside, according to figures from the Australian government, which has declared no refugees who come by boat will be settled in the country.

Sarin, from Cambodia’s refugee department said that at this stage, there were no more volunteers seeking to resettle in Cambodia but wouldn’t offer an opinion as to whether the majority of refugees returning home meant the scheme was a failure.

“We are doing a humanitarian program, so whether it’s successful or unsuccessful, it doesn’t matter, as long as we have implemented the MoU.”

With its Cambodia and Papua New Guinea resettlement programs failing to attract interest, Canberra is in discussions with several other countries – including Malaysia, the Philippines and Indonesia – to resettle its unwanted refugees.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM to vet NY holiday dates

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance submitted a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen asking him to formally set a five-day national holiday from August 17-21 to make up for the Khmer New Year holiday in April that was postponed. Finance minister Aun Pornmoniroth sent

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Snaring may spawn diseases

    The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has warned that snaring of animals has become a crisis that poses a serious risk to wildlife in Southeast Asia and could spawn the transmission of zoonotic diseases to humans. Its July 9 report entitled Silence of the Snares: Southeast Asia’

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Kingdom produces PPE gear

    Medical supplies from Cambodia have been donated to member countries of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to assist in the fight against Covid-19, said an ADB report published on July 9. The report stated that the supplies were donated as a response to global efforts to

  • Kingdom, US vow stronger ties

    At an academic forum on Saturday to celebrate 70 years of Cambodia-US diplomatic ties, Cambodian researchers and officials expressed hope of encouraging US investments and for that country to deepen and improve its bilateral relations. Held at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, it reviewed the past 70

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea