Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Island casino’s fate to be decided

Island casino’s fate to be decided

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Deputy provincial governor Mang Sineth headed a team of specialised officers and other authorities to visit Jinding Hotel and Casino on Friday and order the casino to cease operating. Photo supplied

Island casino’s fate to be decided

A preah Sihanouk provincial official said on Monday that the administration would request approval from the Ministry of Environment and the National Committee for Coastal Management and Development to dismantle a Chinese casino on Koh Rong Sanloem.

Jinding Hotel and Casino was ordered to be shut down by a group of officials for a third time late last week.

It was originally ordered to close on March 11 after authorities claimed it had flushed raw sewage into the sea, made excessive noise, possessed an expired business licence and was constructed on the beach without permission.

Provincial Hall spokesman Kheang Phearum told The Post on Monday that the casino is located on National Park land under the management of the Ministry of Environment and the National Committee for Coastal Management and Development and, as such, permission must be granted by those institutions before it can be dismantled.

“The first step is that we have requested the owner to shut it down. Regarding the dismantling of the building, the provincial administration will decide how to proceed,” he said.

Phearum said recently that Jinding’s owner, a Chinese national named Zhou Jianhua, had defied the authorities’ instructions to close the casino and had continued to secretly run a gambling operation.

On May 24, deputy provincial governor Mang Sineth headed a team of specialised officers and other authorities to visit the premises and once again order the casino to cease operating.

Phearum said following this order, Jinding had now closed. He said if Jianhua does not remove the structure himself, the authorities will dismantle it with the owner covering the cost.

Provincial Department of Environment director Samuth Sothearith said the authorities are working step by step towards demolishing the building.

“We are working on the matter. When a joint working group went to inspect it, we found that it wasn’t operating anymore. As to how to proceed now, the committee will decide what to do at a meeting with senior leadership,” Sothearith said.

Koh Rong Sanloem commune chief Chhoeun Chantha said that a Chinese national had rented the site early last year and that a restaurant had existed there for several years.

“A Chinese national rented the land. It was originally a restaurant on the beach – a simple restaurant – then the Chinese man converted it into a casino,” Chantha said.

Cheap Sotheary, the provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said the provincial authorities could enforce the dismantling of the casino without permission from the national level because it was deemed an illegal construction on the beach.

He said failure to enforce the law was the reason some Chinese nationals were undaunted by the local authorities and Cambodian laws.

“I have seen in the past that our authorities, even those at the national level, seem to strongly protect the interests of investors,” Sotheary said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia maintains 'Kun Khmer' stance despite Thailand’s boycott threat

    Cambodia has taken the position that it will use the term "Kun Khmer" to refer to the sport of kickboxing at the upcoming Southeast Asian (SEA) Games, and has removed the term Muay from all references to the sport. Despite strong reactions from the Thai

  • Chinese group tours return to Cambodia starting Feb 6

    Cambodia is among 20 countries selected by Beijing for a pilot programme allowing travel agencies to provide international group tours as well as flight and hotel packages to Chinese citizens, following a three-year ban. As the days tick down until the programme kicks off on February 6,

  • Capital-Poipet express rail project making headway

    The preliminary results of a feasibility study to upgrade the Phnom Penh-Poipet railway into Cambodia’s first express railway indicate that the project would cost more than $4 billion and would take around four years to complete. The study was carried out by China Road and

  • Thai boxers to join SEA Games’ Kun Khmer event

    The Cambodian SEA Games Organising Committee (CAMSOC) – together with the Kun Khmer International Federation (KKIF) and Khmer Boxing Federation – have achieved a “great success” by including Kun Khmer in the upcoming biennial multi-sports event on its home soil for the first time, said a senior

  • Bullets to bracelets: Siem Reap man makes waste from war wearable

    Jewellery is often made from valuable gemstones like emeralds or diamonds and precious metals like gold or silver, or valueless things like animal horns. But a man in Siem Reap has approached the manufacture of delicate pieces from a different angle. His unique form of

  • 61% of 2022 imports came from just 3 markets

    The three largest exporters to Cambodia – mainland China, Vietnam and Thailand – accounted for 60.94 per cent of the Kingdom’s total merchandise imports last year, at $18.245 billion, which was up 11.99 per cent over 2021, according to the General Department of Customs and Excise. Cambodia’s total imports