Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Jailed ex-RFA reporters to appeal detention at Supreme Court



Jailed ex-RFA reporters to appeal detention at Supreme Court

Former RFA reporters Oun Chhin and Yeang Sothearin appear at the Appeal Court in December, where their bail application was denied.
Former RFA reporters Oun Chhin and Yeang Sothearin appear at the Appeal Court in December, where their bail application was denied. Kim Sarom

Jailed ex-RFA reporters to appeal detention at Supreme Court

The defence lawyer for two former Radio Free Asia reporters will file an appeal with the Supreme Court tomorrow challenging their detention on charges of “espionage”. The Appeal Court upheld their pre-trial detention last week.

Former RFA journalists Yeang Sothearin and Oun Chhin were arrested in November on suspicion of sending news stories to the US-funded broadcaster and subsequently charged with providing “a foreign state with information which undermines national defence”.

RFA ceased its in-country operations in September amid a clampdown on independent media outlets and has denied employing the reporters.

The duo’s lawyer, Keo Vanny, today said he would file a motion with the Supreme Court challenging the Appeal Court’s decision.

“For the bail complaint of my clients, who are former RFA [reporters], I will file it to the Supreme Court on January 2. This is a complaint against the denial of bail by the Appeal Court,” Vanny said.

Vanny deemed the December 27 Appeal Court decision unfair because, he said, his clients had not committed a crime.

“Everything, including the profiles of my clients, has been sent to the court already and their passports as well. So there is nothing that the court could say to not free my clients,” Vanny added.

If convicted, the pair faces up to 15 years in prison.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese