Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - James Ricketson eyes royal pardon after verdict



James Ricketson eyes royal pardon after verdict

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Australian filmmaker James Ricketson reacts as he attempts to speak to journalists from a prison vehicle after his verdict at Phnom Penh Municipal Court last week. TANG CHHIN Sothy/AFP

James Ricketson eyes royal pardon after verdict

Jailed Australian filmmaker James Ricketson’s lawyer said yesterday that he was preparing a letter to be sent to the Cambodian government seeking a royal pardon for his client.

The 69-year-old was sentenced to six years in prison after being found guilty of “espionage of information prejudicial to national defence” by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court last Friday.

The trial was widely condemned as having little evidence from the prosecution to support the charge.

Defence lawyer Kong Sam Onn said the request would likely be submitted early next week.

“We have decided to request a royal pardon. [The request] needs certain documents in order for it to be sent to Samdech Prime Minister [Hun Sen]. We are preparing the documentation and we will likely submit it early next week,” he said on Thursday.

Ricketson was handed a six-year jail term last Friday after being found guilty of carrying out espionage activities the court said had been committed in Cambodia from December 2010 to June 3, last year, the day of his arrest.

During the trial, the court quizzed him on the five films he had produced on the Kingdom, and on his communications with the leadership of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party.

Sam Onn said he wouldn’t file an appeal as he was confident Ricketson would be excused by the government, leading to a pardon from King Norodom Sihamoni. Consequently, filing an appeal was unnecessary, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting