Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Japan disburses $1.2M to Khmer Rouge Tribunal



Japan disburses $1.2M to Khmer Rouge Tribunal

A packed public gallery watches closing statements in Case 002/02 at the Khmer Rouge tribunal this year. The Japanese government has disbursed some $1.2 million to the court.
A packed public gallery watches closing statements in Case 002/02 at the Khmer Rouge tribunal this year. The Japanese government has disbursed some $1.2 million to the court. ECCC

Japan disburses $1.2M to Khmer Rouge Tribunal

Japan has donated more than $1.2 million to the Khmer Rouge tribunal and urged the court to continue prosecuting controversial cases against Khmer Rouge leaders, after the court’s investigating judges proposed halting those proceedings for the “sole reason” of “lack of funding”.

The latest donation from the court’s biggest donor comes a week after the EU announced it had pledged 10 million euros to the same cause.

In a statement released yesterday, the Japanese Embassy noted that progress had been made in trials against former leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan, “whilst encouraging the ECCC to proceed with the remaining cases in a fair, efficient, and expeditious manner”.

A decision on whether to continue cases against Meas Muth, Yim Tith and Ao An – cases the government has long publicly opposed – was initially due at the end of June, but court spokeswoman Hayat Abu-Saleh yesterday said no new date had been fixed.

“The cases are therefore progressing as set out in rules of procedures,” she said in an email, adding all staff contracts had been extended until the end of the year for 2017, and budgeting for 2018 is “on track”.

“While future funding traditionally is not expected prior to approval of the budget, important financial support is already secured for the coming years.”

International Co-Prosecutor Nicholas Koumjian said yesterday that “recent financial pledges confirm the commitment of the international community to see that the process of seeking justice at the ECCC will be based on law and evidence”.

Youk Chhang, of the Documentation Center of Cambodia, said yesterday that “a ‘lack of funds’ should be a matter for the court administration”, not the co-investigating judges.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said