Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Japanese national charged for allegedly making kiddie porn

Japanese national charged for allegedly making kiddie porn

Japanese national charged for allegedly making kiddie porn

A JAPANESE man has been charged for allegedly producing child pornography after he was arrested over the weekend in Sihanoukville taking pictures of naked boys, a police official said Tuesday.

Shunichi Nakagawa, 32, was arrested Sunday while photographing at least six Cambodian boys between the ages of 11 and 15 at O'Tres beach, said Chor Heng, Sihanoukville deputy police commissioner.

Nakagawa was ordered detained Tuesday by the Sihanoukville Municipal Court after prosecutors filed child pornography charges, Chor Heng added.

Nakagawa had paid the boys between US$2 and $5 each to pose naked, according to Be Sivanna, director of the Ministry of Interior's Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Office in Sihanoukville, who added that Nakagawa had entered Cambodia as a tourist on August 6.

He said Nakagawa had first photographed the boys on Saturday and arranged to meet again the following day, by which time local authorities had been tipped off by area residents who had witnessed Nakagawa snapping pictures of the children.

"If found guilty, he could face between five and 10 years in prison," Be Sivanna said.

Sihanoukville court prosecutor Meas Phireak said he could not elaborate on the charges since it could affect the court's investigation.

Chan Chamroeun, an investigator based in Sihanoukville for local human rights group Adhoc, said only two of the children's parents had lodged an official complaint with police.

The other parents said it was not unusual for young boys to be naked in public and receive money from tourists for allowing them to take their picture. 

"Police have confirmed that there are naked photos of the boys on Nakagawa's camera." Chan Chamroeun told the Post.

Koji Tanaka, second secretary at the Japanese embassy in Phnom Penh, confirmed that the embassy had sent officials to Sihanoukville Tuesday to respond to the matter.

Additional reporting by Chrann Chamroeun

MOST VIEWED

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from

  • Conflict lingers on Paris Accords

    As the Kingdom prepares to commemorate on October 23 the 27th anniversary of the signing of the 1991 Paris Peace Accords, which ushered in an end to nearly two decades of civil war, there is political conflict on whether the tenets of the agreement are still being

  • EU agrees VN trade deal despite rights concerns

    The EU on Wednesday agreed to a free-trade agreement (FTA) with Vietnam, a country described as having a “major rights-abusing government”. This comes amid the 28-nation bloc preparing the procedure for a possible withdrawal of Cambodia’s Everything But Arms (EBA) preferential trade agreement on