Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Job recruiter warned for cash requirement

Job recruiter warned for cash requirement

Svay Rieng provincial officials question a staffer at Shan Yaw Enterprise over allegedly charging prospective employees for jobs. Fresh News
Svay Rieng provincial officials question a staffer at Shan Yaw Enterprise over allegedly charging prospective employees for jobs. Fresh News

Job recruiter warned for cash requirement

Svay Rieng labour officials yesterday warned a construction firm recruiting prospective employees to stop making them hand over cash in exchange for jobs.

Provincial Labour Department and police officials visited two firms on Monday after receiving reports that they were charging workers for jobs at factories in the border town, said Keo Sophorn, police chief for Svay Teab district.

They first visited Shan Yaw Enterprise to investigate the claims but were told by staffers there that another firm,

Yus Cambodia, had been doing the hiring for them. Sophorn said Yus Cambodia had offered to recruit workers for Shan Yaw Enterprise, charging each new employee $40.

“When we talked to Yus Cambodia, they said they did have that policy, as we suspected, but that they had not accepted the money as yet,” Sophorn said.

Has Bunthy, director for the provincial Labour Department, said around 240 people had applied for jobs with Yus Cambodia but that no workers had paid the company yet.

The companies were warned that such payments were outlawed unless they were registered with the ministry as official recruitment agencies, he added.

“We told both companies to sign [an agreement] to stop this action and advised them to register for a licence from the Department of Labour,” he said.

The bust comes weeks after the ministry issued a warning to unregistered recruitment firms accepting payments from potential candidates, saying these firms would be fined if they kept up these practices.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Delta spreading in Kingdom

    Cambodia has so far detected more than 200 cases of the highly contagious coronavirus Delta variant, with 109 found on July 31 and August 1. The Ministry of Health has expressed deep concerns that the variant may have already reached communities and be spreading as some of the cases

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four