Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Journalist jailed in Egypt backs petition to free Ricketson



Journalist jailed in Egypt backs petition to free Ricketson

Australian filmmaker James Ricketson arrives at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in June to be questioned over allegations of ‘espionage’.
Australian filmmaker James Ricketson arrives at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in June to be questioned over allegations of ‘espionage’. Pha Lina

Journalist jailed in Egypt backs petition to free Ricketson

Australian journalist Peter Greste – a press freedom advocate and one of three Al Jazeera journalists formerly imprisoned in Egypt – has thrown his support behind a petition calling for the release of Australian filmmaker James Ricketson from Cambodian prison.

Ricketson was arrested in June on charges of “espionage” after he was spotted flying a drone at an opposition rally. He has spent more than six months in Phnom Penh’s overcrowded Prey Sar prison.

On December 31, Greste tweeted to his 50,000 followers: “Help free another journalist in prison on national security charges. No evidence that James Ricketson in Cambodia is guilty of anything other than caring.”

In 2013 and 2014, Greste was jailed for more than 400 days alongside his colleagues Baher Mohamed and Mohamed Fahmy after they were found guilty of “aiding a terrorist organisation” in Egypt, in a case that sparked an international outcry.

Greste said yesterday that elements of Ricketson’s case paralleled his own, and were part of a “very disturbing trend worldwide”.

“In the absence of any clear evidence . . . against James, it seems hard to escape the conclusion that this is intended to send a message to journalists and other critics of the government to shut up, to stop being critical, to stop supporting the opposition,” he said.

“Our experience in Egypt was incredibly infuriating because the judicial system was so politicised . . . I would urge the Cambodian authorities to make sure they do everything to operate openly and transparently and fairly.”

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former Al Jazeera journalist and press freedom advocate Peter Greste, pictured next to his Egyptian colleague Mohamed Baher in 2014 in an Egyptian jail, recently pledged his support for jailed Australian filmmaker James Ricketson. AFP

Last month the Committee to Protect Journalists reported 262 journalists were imprisoned worldwide, with Cambodia making the list after authorities arrested two former Radio Free Asia journalists in November, also on allegations of “espionage”.

“Using anti-state charges in terrorism or espionage legislation to silence critics is a really serious attack on democracy and freedom of speech,” Greste said.

The petition – which calls “shame” on Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop for apparent inaction in Ricketson’s case – claims he is one of 27 men in a single cell, which Prison’s Department spokesman San Keo yesterday said was entirely possible.

“I acknowledge that at Prey Sar the building was built for just 1,800 people, but now, there are up to 5,700 people there. So you can imagine how tight it is,” Keo said.

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade reiterated it was offering consular assistance to a man detained in Cambodia, but would not respond to the allegation that Australia had a spy on Cambodian shores, or on whether Foreign Minister Bishop had appealed to her Cambodian counterpart for Ricketson’s release.

Ricketson’s petition had around 3,500 signatures as of December 30, a number that has now swelled to almost 6,000.

While many have championed Ricketson's work, he is a divisive figure, having been involved in public spats with Screen Australia and at times espousing conspiracy theories on blog. In 2014, he was handed a two-year suspended sentence for threatening to defame a Brisbane-based church by suggesting the church sold children. In late 2016, he was found guilty of defaming child protection NGO APLE by Cambodian courts, and the Cambodian Children's Fund has also accused him of harassment for what they characterise as "false allegations".

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could