More than two years after journalist Ros Sokhet filed his appeal with the Supreme Court, the case has taken a tentative step forward with the court calling for reports from both parties.
In November, 2010, Sokhet appealed to have his defamation conviction overturned and to demand $120,000 in compensation.
In a filing sent to Supreme Court President Dith Monty dated January 30 and obtained yesterday, the Khmer Nation newspaper publisher asks the court to re-review his case, saying the decision had more to do with power politics than the law.
Sokhet was sentenced to two years in prison in 2009 for sending threatening text messages to news anchor Soy Sopheap.
He was released after serving just one year, following intervention from Information Minister Khieu Kanharith, but since then has repeatedly sought an overturn of his conviction.
“If we do not appeal to the Supreme Court, it means that we recognise the mistake as ours,” Sokhet said.
Kem Thavro, the Supreme Court clerk who ordered both parties to submit reports, confirmed he had received Sokhet’s and said he was waiting on Sopheap’s before sending them on to Judge Monty.
To contact the reporter on this story: Meas Sokchea at [email protected]