Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Journos charged over alleged use of violence

Journos charged over alleged use of violence

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The two journalists were arrested alongside five others on Friday in connection with a land dispute in Sihanoukville. Supplied

Journos charged over alleged use of violence

The Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court ruled on Monday to charge two journalists with incitement to commit a felony after they were arrested alongside five others on Friday in connection with a land dispute in Sihanoukville.

Club of Independent Journalists (CIJ) president Hun Sokha and Keo Rattana, the publisher of TN Online, were arrested for allegedly using violence against a realtor, from whom they had collected information regarding a territorial row.

Besides the duo, the provincial military police also detained four women, identified as Hang Chenda, 52; Hang Sophea, 49; Sen Leakna, 32; and Pen Sina, 57, as well as Heng Young, 50, a security guard.

The court prosecutor and spokesperson, Lim Bunheng, said an investigation into the case had been launched and that the journalists had been placed under court supervision.

“The court ruled to charge Rattana and Sokha with incitement to commit an intentional act of violence against the realtor,” Bunheng told The Post on Monday, noting that the incident occurred in Sihanoukville’s Commune 3 on Friday.

He said the two were charged under Articles 29, 495 and 497 of the Criminal Code, and Article 253 of the Land Law.

The five suspects, meanwhile, were charged with intent to commit a felony.

CIJ first deputy president Leang Sopheak said he signed a letter on Saturday, requesting Information Minister Khieu Kanharith to intervene in the case.

In the letter which Sopheak said had been well received by the minister on Monday, he said the two journalists had merely shot a video of a group of people protesting over a land dispute and left the scene without incident.

“The journalists met the protesting residents by chance. The coverage was not even critical of any senior government leader,” he said, noting that Sokha and Rattana were still “in the hands of the court”.

Phos Sovann, the spokesperson for the Ministry of Information, confirmed that it had received the letter and that was currently “monitoring the case”.

“We are examining all aspects before we determine the ways to intervene,” Sovann said.

National Military Police spokesman Eng Hy declined to comment, referring to the provincial prosecutor for enquiries.

Preah Sihanouk Military Police commander Heng Bunty also declined to comment, saying he was busy in a meeting.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the