Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Journos held for ‘fake news’

Journos held for ‘fake news’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Two reporters from TNM online TV have been arrested in Pursat province on Tuesday. Supplied

Journos held for ‘fake news’

The Veal Veng district authority in Pursat province on Tuesday said two reporters from TNM online TV had been sent to the provincial police station for “incitement and broadcasting disinformation”, while another TNM reporter in Mondulkiri province was sent to court for “public defamation”.

Veal Veng district police station deputy chief of staff Soley Mesa said the two TNM reporters were arrested in Thmor Da commune’s Sangkum Thmey village after the MDS Company owned by prominent tycoon Try Pheap lodged a complaint.

He said police are deciding whether to send Min Phon, 39, from Kampong Speu province’s Samrong Tong district, and Sarak Dara, 38, from the capital’s Mean Chey district, to court.

TNM editor Men Socheata said the reporters had not committed the alleged offence. He said they wrote their reports based on the situation on the ground and according to the accounts of people who had provided the tip-off and interviews.

Reporter questioned

“I request the authorities release them because they had collected information based on reports from people who had suffered from land disputes.

“Before the arrest, they had broadcast news about MDS Company excavating around 30 metres of a rice field. The authority had not solved the dispute, so they reported the incident to us,” he said.

Pursat provincial court spokesman Heng Donin said on Wednesday that he had not received information on the two reporters’ arrest.

“I just heard from news media, but I haven’t seen them in court yet,” he said.

In a similar case on September 12, deputy Mondulkiri provincial court prosecutor Mam Vanda summonsed Khin Sokhorn, a TNM reporter based in the province, for questioning in relation to a defamation lawsuit filed by Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary office head Din Bunthoeun.

The complaint said that Sokhorn wrongly accused Bunthoeun of colluding with traders to log and haul luxury timber in the Keo Seima protected area.

Vanda said the accused journalist had been temporarily released pending further investigation.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges