Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Judge unconvinced by rapist’s excuse




Judge unconvinced by rapist’s excuse

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Hem Hai (centre) is serving a seven year sentence for raping a minor. He claims he only confessed due to police intimidation. Kim Sarom

Judge unconvinced by rapist’s excuse

A supreme Court judge labelled a 72-year-old man’s excuse that police threats were the reason he confessed to raping a minor in Kampong Chhnang province in 2013 as “unreasonable”.

Hem Hai, who was ordered by the provincial court to serve a seven-year sentence for the crime, is appealing to the Supreme Court for a lower sentence.

On Wednesday, he told the Supreme Court that he and the victim lived about 100m from each other in the same village in Kampong Leng district. The child’s grandparents were his in-laws, and the young girl often went to his house to play with other children.

He said on the day of the incident in August 2013, his children and the victim were only watching TV together at his house.

“I filed an appeal to the Supreme Court because I want the court to provide me justice. I did not rape the girl as accused. I only confessed to raping her because I was forced to [by police],” he said.

However, presiding Judge Kim Sathavy was unconvinced by his claims of police intimidation.

“Your testimony claiming you confessed due to police threats and intimidation seems unreasonable. You cannot use this as an excuse to protect yourself,” he said.

Defence lawyer Tith Lay said the lower court’s initial verdict was entirely based on his confession, which he claimed was given under duress.

He said the victim’s testimony was inconsistent and cited medical examinations which indicated that the child’s genitals were undamaged.

“Sometimes the victim said she was raped five times . . . sometimes she said she was raped only once. His wife also lived in the same house where the alleged attack occurred, so how did he do it?” he asked.

Lay said his client had already served over five years of his seven-year sentence, and that if Hai had raped the victim, he would not bother filing a complaint to the Supreme Court at this late stage just to restore his reputation.

Prosecutor Chum Samban said the Appeal Court upheld the provincial court’s initial verdict based on Hai’s confession to both the police and the judge.

“The suspect said he was intimidated by the police, but then why did he make the same confession to the judge? I ask the Supreme Court to uphold the Appeal Court’s verdict,” he said.

Judge Sethavy said he will hand down his verdict on January 30.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped