Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Justice demanded as Bandith hearing nears

Justice demanded as Bandith hearing nears

Justice demanded as Bandith hearing nears

A court official yesterday insisted today’s scheduled hearing of former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith would go ahead as planned, but stopped short of saying what punishment Bandith might face should he fail to show again.

“We will not delay it any longer and Chhouk Bandith must show up in the court room,” Svay Rieng provincial court prosecutor Hing Bunchea said.

On May 21, a scheduled hearing of Bandith’s case was postponed after neither he nor his lawyers appeared at court. The powerful former governor stands accused of shooting three garment workers during a factory protest in February 2012 in a case that has since bounced between courts with little hint at resolution.

Victims and rights workers said yesterday they would – once again – appear at court in the hope the trial might go forward. But, they admitted, they held little hope for a just resolution.

“If Chhouk Bandith is not present, I cannot hope to get justice because the court takes the side of only the rich,” said Keo Near, one of the three young women shot during the protest for better working conditions.

Nuth Sakhorn, who was also shot in the melee, said she too intended to appear and had already purchased baby formula for her newborn daughter in order that she might be able to attend the hearings.

“To seek justice, I must struggle and my baby must struggle as well when we live apart for a few days so that I can face Chhouk Bandith,” she said.

Fingered as the shooter by none other than Minister of Interior Sar Kheng, he was charged only with causing unintentional injury and eventually saw the charges dropped altogether.

The lower court was later ordered to re-hear the case, but despite the intervention, rights monitors said they weren’t holding their breath.

“We are afraid the court will postpone the case as before,” senior Adhoc investigator Chan Soveth said.

But, he added, the fact that the national election was upcoming gave him slight hope for a resolution.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong