Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kampong Speu disputants ‘pressured’ to take sugar firm deal

Kampong Speu disputants ‘pressured’ to take sugar firm deal

People involved in a land dispute with Phnom Penh Sugar in Kampong Speu protest at ANZ in Phnom Penh in 2014.
People involved in a land dispute with Phnom Penh Sugar in Kampong Speu protest at ANZ in Phnom Penh in 2014. Pha Lina

Kampong Speu disputants ‘pressured’ to take sugar firm deal

Despite earlier statements by company representatives that $500 compensation packages being offered to land disputants at Ly Yong Phat’s Kampong Speu economic land concession (ELC) were negotiable, attendees of a meeting between company representatives and residents yesterday said they felt pressured to take the offer.

The ruling party senator was granted the ELC in 2010, and since then, his Phnom Penh Sugar Company has been locked in a bitter dispute with residents. The impasse appeared to have been broken two weeks ago when more than 200 families accepted a $500 compensation package.

Equitable Cambodia director Eang Vuthy decried the compensation offers last Friday as “inadequate” and said the NGO believed the conditions under which it was accepted “have not been free and fair”.

While company spokesman Sim Sitha has insisted that residents were free to negotiate higher compensation packages, two residents of Oral district’s Trapaing Chor commune said they felt an offer made yesterday would be the last.

Noun Sok, 67, rejected the $500 offer. “[I] feared they won’t talk to us about compensation again when I refused to take money from them,” she said.

“The company said if we did not accept the money there would be no other chance,” said another resident who accepted the $500.

Phnom Penh Sugar could not be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.