Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kampong Speu extends restrictions; Takeo and Battambang follow suit

Kampong Speu extends restrictions; Takeo and Battambang follow suit

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Officers place barricades on a road leading to Kampong Speu province last month. Kampong Speu Provincial Administration

Kampong Speu extends restrictions; Takeo and Battambang follow suit

The Kampong Speu provincial authorities extended for another week the suspension of business activities in certain areas to contain the spread of Covid-19.

According to a directive on May 10, the administrative measures will be extended through May 17. Restaurants and food stalls are banned from receiving customers between 8pm and 3am, but these establishments could make deliveries.

The directive stated that no establishment could sell alcoholic drinks.

“Family gathering for drinking is banned, while gatherings for sports with more than two people are also prohibited,” said the directive.

Gatherings are exempted for family members living in the same accommodation and in funerals as permitted by authorities. Also exempted are health workers and authorities from town and commune administrations to maintain public health and safety.

The provincial administration warned of legal action against individuals who failed to follow the directive.

Provincial hall spokesman Keo Kuch Sey could not be reached for comment on May 11.

Separately, Takeo provincial authorities on May 11 locked down Baing Bat village in Prey Kabbas district’s Char commune after some villagers tested positive for Covid-19.

“During the lockdown, all individuals are banned from leaving their accommodation and from gathering, except for medical reasons or other emergencies,” it said in a directive.

Battambang provincial authorities also locked down Thipadei commune’s Tuol Mtes village in Kors Kralor district from May 10 until further notice.

The lockdown was to contain the pandemic after a 31-year-old man tested positive for Covid-19 on May 10.

“During this temporary lockdown, Kors Kralor district administration cordoned off the Bram Khnang Phtes area. This location is restricted. We are carrying out contact tracing and taking samples for testing,” said the directive.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia resumes issuance of tourist visas

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has announced the resumption of its tourist visa and visa exemption programme after a long hiatus due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In a letter dated October 20 and addressed to foreign embassies and consulates, foreign minister Prak Sokhonn

  • S’ville set to turn into ‘second Shenzhen’

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance has awarded a master plan consultancy contract to top Chinese institute for the development and transformation of Preah Sihanouk province into a “Model Multi-Purpose Special Economic Zone”, Southeast Asia’s next logistics and resort hub and innovation centre. The