Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kampong Speu police arrest eight suspects over armed snatch thefts



Kampong Speu police arrest eight suspects over armed snatch thefts

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Eight snatch theft suspects were arrested by Kampong Speu police on Sunday in Samrong Tong district’s Chambak village in Kampong Speu province. POLICE

Kampong Speu police arrest eight suspects over armed snatch thefts

Eight snatch theft suspects, including two women, who were armed with swords and sticks when committing crimes, were arrested by Kampong Speu police on Sunday in the province’s Chambak village in Samrong Tong district’s Voasar commune.

Kampong Speu provincial police chief Sam Samuon told The Post on Monday that police arrested 11 suspects in a crackdown in Samrong Tong district.

He said the suspects did not just snatch belongings of drivers along the road, but they targeted all people. He said police would take urine samples for drug testing.

Samuon said upon questioning, the suspects confessed to committing snatch theft crimes but claimed they had never harmed their victims.

Aged between 18 and 22, some suspects said they were from Chbar Mon town in Samrong Tong district, with some from other provinces.

“The arrests came after our investigation. We found that they had committed offences in Kampong Speu. Any crimes they [thought of], they just did,” he said.

Samrong Tong district police chief Khuth Sophal told The Post on Monday that before arresting the suspects, police had investigated rented houses in Chambak village and collected information from residents about their activities.

He said according to their confessions, they targeted mostly women droving in remote areas because they thought it would be easier to snatch their belongings.

“The locals told us that the suspects had been committing crimes, but we did not believe them [without proof]. So we placed secret agents to identify and investigate the area of their rented home.

“They left their rented house on two motorbikes and came back on three. This was how we confirmed that the information from locals was correct,” Sophal said.

He said in the operation, police seized items including six motorbikes, 14 machetes and knives, some wooden sticks, many different keys to motorbikes, and some motorcycle spare parts.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could