Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kandal beating death spurs concurrent inquiries



Kandal beating death spurs concurrent inquiries

Authorities conduct an investigation last week in Kandal after a man was killed after allegedly stealing a motorbike. National Police
Authorities conduct an investigation last week in Kandal after a man was killed after allegedly stealing a motorbike. National Police

Kandal beating death spurs concurrent inquiries

A Kandal prosecutor said yesterday that three concurrent investigations will be conducted into the death of a man alleged to have been beaten to death in police custody in Kandal’s Sa’ang district on Friday.

Provincial court prosecutor Lim Sokuntha said that provincial police, the provincial court and the National Police will each investigate the death of 26-year-old Chamroeun Seyha, who was allegedly beaten to death by three police officers after being mistaken as a robber and hauled in by district police officer Chhay Sina, 33.

Authorities initially blamed the beating on a mob of villagers, even as contradictory accounts from witnesses and a survivor began to emerge.

“We have sent a letter to the National Police asking them to launch their own investigation, too,” Sokuntha added. “Once they have finished their probe, they will send us a report.”

National Police spokesman Kirth Chantharith said yesterday that he had not received any such letter, but maintained it was “the duty of the Kandal provincial police to investigate”.

On Tuesday, provincial deputy police chief Roeun Nara rejected claims that the three suspects – Sina, along with district deputy police chief Pheadey Vitou, 33, and district police officer Kheang Songtheng, 31 – had fled town. However, yesterday provincial police chief Eav Chamroeun confirmed the men were indeed at large.

Chamroeun, who on Tuesday insisted the death was the result of a mob beating, acknowledged yesterday that the three officers were under investigation. “Our investigation will continue and if they made the mistake, they will receive punishment.”

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • Capital set to beef up security

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng held the first meeting of the year with heads of armed forces in the capital to review and repair the deficiencies related to gun control, drug crimes, social order disruptions due to alcohol consumption and traffic law enforcement. Municipal