Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kandal man held after dousing acid on his infant son



Kandal man held after dousing acid on his infant son

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The suspect, identified as Uk Kompheak, 22 was arrested. Police

Kandal man held after dousing acid on his infant son

A man accused of dousing acid on his infant son in Kandal province's Khsach Kandal district was placed in pre-trial detention at the provincial prison on Friday following his arrest the previous day.

Kandal Provincial Court spokesman Sou Sarin told The Post that the suspect, identified as Uk Kompheak, 22, had been in hiding elsewhere in the province since the incident on January 14 in Sanlong commune's Dul village.

Provincial prosecutor Sou Sovichet said Kompheak had been charged with intentional violence using acid. Investigating Judge Chhe Vivathanak charged him and ordered the suspect detained in prison.

“The suspect was charged on Friday and detained at Kandal prison the same day,” Sarin said.

Khsach Kandal district deputy police chief Un Yong said the victim was only just more than a year old.

After receiving treatment for a week, the child's condition had improved, Yong said, because the acid was not strong. He added that he had not personally seen the child, who had been sent to a private clinic.

“I am not aware of how the infant was injured in the acid attack. However, after the boy had acid thrown at him, his face was [burned] red, but the acid the father used was weak,” he said.

Yong said that after the suspect went into hiding, Kandal provincial police cooperated with a Kampot provincial task force to find and arrest him on Thursday.

He said the suspect lived with his wife, Ra Sreynich, 19, and the victim. Kompheak had a history of domestic violence against Sreynich, Yong said.

He said that on the day of the attack, Sreynich ran away from her husband to stay with her mother in the same village.

Kompheak phoned Sreynich, asking her to come home but, when she refused, he threatened her, Yong said.

He said that later that night, Sreynich was walking on the street with another family member when Kompheak appeared and threw acid on his wife, his son and the relative.

He then escaped on a motorbike, Yong said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting