The Kantha Bopha Foundation announced that a child who swallowed a coin that became lodged in his digestive tract for three months was recently saved by the hospital’s staff in Siem Reap province.

The 3-year-old boy hailed from Stung Treng province's Siem Pang district and was admitted to the hospital's intensive care unit. The boy swallowed the coin three months ago, but because his parents were unable to travel and the related medical problems were delayed in their onset, they did not immediately seek treatment.

“The boy was treated successfully by a medical team from Kantha Bopha Hospital in Siem Reap,” it said.

Every month, five Kantha Bopha hospitals across Cambodia receive and examine more than 40,000 children free of charge and without discrimination, a service of incomparable value that has saved the lives of tens of thousands of children in the Kingdom.

The foundation renewed its call for donations to jointly sustain the hospital's operations in five locations.

Donations can be made through all major banks and electronic payment services in Cambodia.