Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ke Pauk ready to say he's innocent



Ke Pauk ready to say he's innocent

Ke Pauk ready to say he's innocent

IT may be coincidence but during last week's visit by United Nations legal experts

to look at the feasibility of a trial for Khmer Rouge leaders, one of those leaders,

Ke Pauk, decided it was time to start rewriting his own history.

While KR experts say Pauk - "Brother No. 12" in the regime's 13-man inner

sanctum - was probably the bloodiest of them all after Ta Mok, the man himself does

not believe his reputation is justified.

Speaking in Siem Reap last week, Pauk said he was unconcerned about moves to bring

former KR leaders to justice, saying he was just a simple farmer.

"I could not create the war. I had no money or weapons," he said. "If

they take me to court I will not be afraid to answer and I will not be scared at

all."

He chose an interesting case to draw a parallel: Nazi Germany. "If I was like

the mastermind and created the war I would not be afraid to die, like Hitler died.

"But I am a farmer and uneducated. How can I be afraid? They lead me to do it...

If they want know I will [tell them], I'm not scared to say. Now, I won't tell you,

but when the United Nations calls the trial, I will tell [them].

Pauk maintains he didn't know that the regime killed people, and that now he doesn't

understand why it did.

"When we were in the revolution we were told to respect the 12 principles, such

as not harming the people's interest and the people's lives... not take even one

piece of chilli, one banana, not one piece of thread.

"When Pol Pot did this I had to think as well, but I didn't know what I could

do."

Pauk said if the UN wanted to investigate "it is up to them. I'm not going to

defend the criminals but this is very difficult to say... I'll go [before them],

but as what sort of witness?

"I know only that Pol Pot killed people. In fact, all the Khmer people can bear

witness that Pol Pot killed people.

"It's no problem for me.

"Hun Sen is the prime minister and if the prime minister decides I must go,

I will go, because I respect the government", even though, he added, he and

the likes of Pailin's Ieng Sary answered the government's call to break away from

Ta Mok in the first instance.

When asked whether such an international tribunal would be successful, he said: "I

think it is very difficult to do this because now Cambodia wants peace, not war.

"I agree with what Hun Sen said that the main people who should be investigated

are Pol Pot, Ta Mok, Noun Chea and Khieu Samphan.

"Pol Pot is dead. But the rest? They are stubborn."

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and