Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kep officials demolish illegal land grab fence



Kep officials demolish illegal land grab fence

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities in Kep province destroyed a concrete wall deliberately built to encroach on flooded forest land in Angkorl commune. Photo supplied

Kep officials demolish illegal land grab fence

The Damnak Chang’aeur district Unified Command Committee on Tuesday demolished a concrete fence that was illegally built to encroach on flooded forest land in Angkorl commune’s Angkorl village in Kep province.

Damnak Changaur district governor Kim Channy told The Post that while the authorities at all levels were busy launching a campaign to educate citizens about measures to halt the Covid-19 pandemic, a handful of opportunists had illegally planted markers and erected a stone fence surrounding state-owned- land.

“Now, police forces are going down to demolish the markers and the fence that was built to encroach on the land. The police issued a letter informing the builders to come in and resolve these problems after the Khmer New Year,” he said.

He said erecting the markers and constructing the fence was an attempt to occupy state property as privately-owned. It wasn’t the first time. Last year, soil was used to fill in a mangrove forest and markers were planted to surround it. But the authorities stepped in to take preventive measures.

Damnak Chang’aeur Fisheries Administration head Chak Sineath told The Post on Tuesday that a technical committee is now measuring and verifying the size of the land damaged by the planting of the markers and the fence to build a case to be referred to the provincial Fisheries Administration for review and further legal action.

“For now we have still not summed up the size of the land that was occupied by some villagers and traders. The case of planting the markers and erecting the fence happened in separate places,” he said.

However, he said that some property owners had collaborated with specialists and local authorities to gradually demolish and adjust their markers protruding into state land.

Concerning the move to tear down the illegal fence, Kep provincial governor Ken Satha said on Tuesday that the provincial authorities would take the strictest legal action.

“We have to take measures to demolish all illegal construction, especially the erecting of stone fences surrounding this state land,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting