Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Khmer Rouge chief to seek Royal pardon for multiple killings



Khmer Rouge chief to seek Royal pardon for multiple killings

Khmer Rouge chief to seek Royal pardon for multiple killings

FORMER Khmer Rouge commander Chhouk Rin, who was convicted of the murder of three Western backpackers in 1994, will soon ask King Norodom Sihamoni for a pardon, his lawyer told the Post last week.

Chhouk Rin’s lawyer, Puth Theavy, said Thursday that he would ask the King to pardon his client on the grounds that he has fallen seriously ill after contracting AIDS, malaria and liver disease.

“I will submit a document requesting the King pardon [Chhouk Rin] before the Water Festival this year,” he said.

The conviction against Chhouk Rin, 56, on charges of terrorism, robbery and murder, for which he received a life sentence, was upheld by the Supreme Court in February 2005.

Two other former Khmer Rouge military officials, Nuon Paet and his now deceased former provincial commander, Sam Bith, also received life sentences for the killings.

Heng Hak, director general of the Interior Ministry’s prisons department, said prisoners convicted for life need to serve at least 20 years of their sentence before they can be considered for a pardon.

Chhouk Rin was convicted in absentia in 2000, but he was not apprehended by authorities until October 2005. He has served less than five years of his sentence.

Heng Hak said any request for a pardon would need to be sent to the Ministry of Justice, which would forward it to the King for consideration.

Chhouk Rin’s wife, Yem Sao, a 42-year-old lawyer living in Kep province, called on the government to help facilitate her husband’s release.
“It is very difficult for me to make a living that supports my family,” she said.

“Since my husband was arrested and imprisoned, looking after my family has become increasingly difficult.”

She said she was supporting three children and could only afford to visit her husband once or twice a month, adding that she had noticed during her last visit that her husband’s body had become swollen, and that he had contracted a cold.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman