Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Khmer Rouge tribunal feels financial crunch

Khmer Rouge tribunal feels financial crunch

Khmer Rouge tribunal feels financial crunch

David Scheffer, the UN-appointed Special Expert for the Khmer Rouge tribunal, met with representatives from several donor countries yesterday in Phnom Penh to discuss the court’s latest funding crisis.

The meeting, held at the Japanese Embassy, comes at a crucial juncture for the cash-strapped tribunal. The international budget is scheduled to run out of money at the end of this month, several governments who have pledged funds have yet to make deposits and a hiring freeze remains in effect.

Moreover, Scheffer said in an e-mail, even if pledged funds are paid, they would only sustain the international budget through October, leaving a US$4 million shortfall for the rest of 2012.

To try and fill the gap, Scheffer has been on an intensive fundraising drive, and was “optimistic we will get through this cash crisis, at least temporarily”.

“Several donor states have pledged funds which have not been paid in yet, and until they are paid in, the cash shortage remains very serious,” he said.

He expects donor countries such as Norway, which Scheffer said pledged $1 million to the court on Wednesday, and Australia, which announced a $1.4 million donation last month, to make good on their offers soon.

Japan has traditionally contributed the most to the tribunal, followed by Australia. Officials from both embassies in Phnom Penh did not respond to requests for comment about their ongoing financial commitment.

Some donor countries, like the United States, which was represented at yesterday’s meeting, have tried to keep up with the court’s needs.

“In the last three years, the US government has contributed a total of approximately $11.2 million to the Extraordinary Chambers of the Courts in Cambodia,” said US Embassy spokesman Sean McIntosh, adding that the US upped its donation from $1.2 million in 2010 to $5 million in 2011 and 2012.

All the same, financial constraints have become routine for the court, according to tribunal spokesman Lars Olsen.

“This is not a new trend, but this year we are even shorter than usual,” he said.

As it gradually expanded to take on all of its functions, the court’s expenditures rose almost 300 per cent since 2007 – to an estimated $45.7 million, according to court figures – with a large part of that increase coinciding with the global financial crisis.

“We experienced that the global financial crisis makes it more difficult to raise funds, as many countries are forced to cut their public spending,” Olsen said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Joseph Freeman at [email protected]
Stuart White at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman