Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Khun Sear disputants to see court

Khun Sear disputants to see court

Khun Sear disputants to see court

Land dispute activist Ly Seav Minh will remain in custody ahead of her family’s trial on Wednesday after a judge at the Supreme Court postponed her bail hearing.

Summoned without her lawyer yesterday, Seav Minh was told she would not be released ahead of the hearing at the Phnom Penh Municipal court, her father Ly Srea Kheng said.

The Tuol Kork family, embroiled in a long-running land dispute with Khun Sear Import Export Company, will face court tomorrow on charges of “using violence” against a legal property owner in 2013.

Four of the family has been charged but Seav Minh remains in custody after Srea Kheng was released in December.

They claim they’ve been the victims of a campaign of intimidation to scare them off their land and accuse employees of Khun Sear of throwing snakes into their house.

Srea Kheng, who has refused an offer of $160,000 for his land, saying he wants $200,000, said he would still face legal action if he took the compensation.

Seav Minh’s lawyer Choung Choungy alleged the company had bribed the court to keep his client in jail.

A Khun Sear representative could not be contacted.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police