Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Killer’ back in jail after escape



‘Killer’ back in jail after escape

An evidence tag hangs next to the bent bars of a cell door at the Siem Reap provincial police station yesterday after a man charged with the murder of three people escaped from the cell. Photo supplied
An evidence tag hangs next to the bent bars of a cell door at the Siem Reap provincial police station yesterday after a man charged with the murder of three people escaped from the cell. Photo supplied

‘Killer’ back in jail after escape

A teenager who allegedly hacked three boys to death in Siem Reap province on Saturday was rearrested yesterday evening, after escaping from police custody just before dawn.

A huge search operation was launched after Chhorn Chhen, 17, broke out of his police cell at 5am yesterday. The officers who were supposed to be guarding him were ostensibly elsewhere, preparing for a flag-saluting ceremony.

“We apprehended him [Chhen] at 6:10pm after a report from villagers that they saw him walking near the provincial police station,” deputy Siem Reap provincial police chief Thorng Sakun said. “Now we have sent him to a secret location, but it is somewhere from which he will not be able to escape again.”

Sakun blamed Chhen’s escape on staff neglecting their duties.

“It was very careless that they left the suspect without anyone standing by in the room,” he said. “We had secured the door with three locks, but there are two parts of the door, and the suspect broke the upper part, which is close to the ceiling, and escaped.”

Close-up photographs of the break-out scene obtained by the Post show that parts of the cell grill and door were badly corroded, which could have weakened the metal, making it easier for Chhen to force his way out.

Sakun added that the officer who was responsible for guarding Chhen would face a fine and possibly some other sanction.

Director of the National Police’s Child Protection Union James McCabe yesterday said the escape needed to be seen in context. “Escapes from custody happen all around the world,” he said. “It is just unfortunate that in this case it happened to involve a triple murder.”

Police would launch a full inquiry into what had happened, he added.

But the Siem Reap prison investigator for human rights NGO Licadho, Sar Sovannara, was more critical.

“If the suspect had been properly locked in detention, he might not have been able to escape,” he said.

Chhen was first arrested on Saturday in Kok Doung commune, Angkor Chum district, after he allegedly murdered three boys aged 8, 11 and 16 with a scythe, the oldest of whom was the target of the attack.

The suspected killer reportedly made a full confession, and told police he was jealous of the 16-year-old, whom he had spotted on a motorcycle with a girl he liked, and that he had killed the younger boys to eliminate witnesses to his crime.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration