Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - King pardons two more in fraud case



King pardons two more in fraud case

King pardons two more in fraud case

Ponlork Ho, a former adviser to Senate President Chea Sim, and Khieu Bora, an ex-lieutenant general in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces, both serving prison terms for their parts in a fraud scandal worth hundreds of millions of dollars, were released from jail last month after receiving royal pardons, a defense lawyer said yesterday.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court sentenced Ho, 58, to four years, and Bora, 52, to three years in 2011, for defrauding at least 51 foreign companies in scams that date back almost a decade and total hundreds of millions of dollars.

Along with his other crimes, Ho was charged with impersonating a three-star general.

Ho and Bora were released from Prey Sar prison on November 23, according to their lawyer, Thong Chan Rithy.

“They were released after receiving his majesty the King’s royal amnesty pardoning,” Chan Rithy said yesterday.

Bora and Ho become the second and third participants in the wide-ranging fraud case to have received royal pardons. Kunthea Borey, 57, former protocol chief to Chea Sim, was released in July on “medical grounds” before completing her four-year sentence.

The other of the four Cambodians convicted in the case, former Chea Sim adviser Chan Kosal, died of lung cancer in his cell at Prey Sar prison on June 13, 2012.

A fifth man, Malaysian national Joe Harry Mahady, was sentenced to four years in absentia for his involvement in the alleged crimes but never arrested.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,