Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - King, Queen Mother donate $2M for Covid-19 fight



King, Queen Mother donate $2M for Covid-19 fight

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
It is the second time King Norodom Sihamoni and Queen Mother Norodom Monineath Sihanouk have made such contributions. Hean Rangsey

King, Queen Mother donate $2M for Covid-19 fight

Queen Mother Norodom Monineath Sihanouk and King Norodom Sihamoni have donated $1 million each to the National Committee to Fight Covid-19.

It is the second time they have made contributions since the pandemic started.

The Queen Mother and the King sent a message to Prime Minister Hun Sen, the chairman of the committee, highlighting that their second contribution is to support activities to prevent and stop the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.

The Queen Mother and the King both donated $300,000 to the committee in March.

Hun Sen has previously said funds the government receives from donors and not spent will go to the Kantha Bopha IV Children’s Hospital.

The Ministry of Health on Wednesday announced that a 21-year-old Cambodian Covid-19 patient who contracted the disease upon returning from Malaysia had recovered, bringing the total recoveries to 128 out of 130 patients.

The ministry on Monday warned citizens to practice hygiene, wear facemasks or use scarves when coughing or sneezing and maintain social and physical distancing to avoid a second wave of Covid-19 transmissions.

Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng told The Post on Wednesday that the municipal hall would use two more schools – Kok Panchean Junior High School in Por Sen Chey district and Russey Keo High School in Russey Keo district – as quarantine facilities.

He said the schools were added in case the Hun Sen Champuvoin High School, the Chak Angrae Kraom Health Centre and the Air Force Base were filled.

Sreng said the Phnom Penh Municipal Hall has prepared three schools in the capital to serve as treatment and quarantine facilities for people who travel from abroad.

“At these three schools, we have prepared beds, blankets and pillows. We have well-prepared bathrooms and accommodations for them to be quarantined,” he said.

Health Ministry secretary of state York Sambath told reporters on Wednesday that Cambodia still received passengers from abroad.

Cambodian passengers have to be kept in quarantine at government-managed centres in case they travel with a Covid-19 passenger. Foreigners are sent to hotels for quarantine.

She said the three quarantine centres in Phnom Penh could accommodate 400 people.

“If there are more passengers we can still receive them. We have cooperated with the Phnom Penh Municipal Hall to expand locations for quarantine,” Sambath said.

In Phnom Penh, hotel owners are cooperating with the Ministry of Health to take in foreigners, she said.

For Cambodian passengers, 200 people can be accommodated at Champuvoin, 100 at the quarantine centre at the Air Force Base and 100 people at the Chak Angrae Kraom Health Centre.

She said more than 12,000 airline passengers had samples taken for testing as of Wednesday.

“Our working groups are on duty 24 hours a day. Even though planes land at all hours, they are on standby. All passengers who disembark have to be scanned for Covid-19,” Sambath stressed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,