Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kingdom to continue peacekeeping



Kingdom to continue peacekeeping

Kingdom to continue peacekeeping

Cambodia will dispatch an engineering force to join a UN peacekeeping mission in the Central African Republic, Ministry of Defence spokesman Chhum Socheat told The Post on Wednesday.

The engineering force is the fifth team sent by Cambodia to participate in a peacekeeping mission there. It will consist of 216 peacekeeping troopers, 10 of which are women.

On November 2, there will be a send-off ceremony at Phnom Penh’s Pochentong military air base.

One day later 73 peacekeeping troops will return to Cambodia from a mission in South Sudan.

Their homecoming ceremony will be presided over by Defence Minister Tea Banh.

Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Wednesday during a meeting with more than 6,000 garment workers from Mok Kampoul district, Kandal province, that previous peacekeeping missions to other countries had been successful.

Since 2006, Cambodia has sent more than 5,000 troopers to serve in UN peacekeeping missions in Africa and the Middle East. But not all returned home alive.

A deadly attack in the Central African Republic last year killed four of the Kingdom’s peacekeepers.

During another attack on a Cambodian base in Mali, the troop’s logistics equipment was destroyed.

Despite that, Prime Minister Hun Sen thinks it’s Cambodia’s duty to continue participating in international peacekeeping efforts and to increase the number of troops. He refers to the recent Cambodian history when UN peacekeepers came to Cambodia, putting an end to the civil war after the 1991 Paris agreement was signed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants